If you have a question that is not answered below, please email questions@opdc.org and we will follow up with you shortly!

KICOReal EstateJobLinksSchool 2 Career
Q: How do I sign up for Adopt-A-Block?
A: Getting involved in Adopt-A-Block is easy! If you are signing a group or organization up, please contact our KICO Program Manager at 412.621.7863 Ext. 24 or kico@opdc.org. You will have to fill out two forms and the process should take no more than 10 minutes.

Q: I want to do community service—who should I talk to?
A: OPDC has community service projects running almost every weekend. Getting involved is quick and easy—just contact our KICO Program Manager at 412.621.7863 Ext. 24 or kico@opdc.org for a full listing of our current and upcoming projects. Also, click here for more information about past and current service projects.

Q: I am a representative of an organization who has volunteers to offer the Oakland area. What should I do to set up a service project?
A: OPDC is fully prepared to manage your volunteers in a safe and productive service project. Please contact our KICO Program Manager at 412.621.7863 Ext. 22 or questions@opdc.org and he will be more than happy to help you develop a service plan.

Prospective Tenants:

Q: Who should I contact to inquire about housing? 
A: For all housing inquiries, please contact Blair Kossis, Property Manager, at 412.621.7863 Ext. 10 or by email at bkossis@opdc.org.

Q: How do I apply to rent an apartment?
A: A copy of each of our rental applications can be viewed here:

Parkview Manor Rental Application

Parkview Manor has apartments for seniors or those with disabilities. For more information on eligibility for Parkview Manor, contact Blair Kossis, Property Manager at 412.621.7856 Ext. 10 or email bkossis@opdc.org

Rental Application

Applications can be submitted via email to Blair Kossis, Property Manager at bkossis@opdc.org, mailed to our office, or submitted in person between the hours of 8:30am and 5:00pm.

Q: Can I view the properties online?
A: Yes. For a list of available rental properties click here For a list of for sale properties, click here.

Q: Does OPDC allow pets in its rental units? 
A: No pets are allowed in any units.

Q: Do the properties come furnished?
A: No properties come furnished.

Q: How much will my security deposit be? 
A: OPDC charges the equivalent of one month’s rent for all security deposits.

Q: Does OPDC accept Section 8 vouchers for any rental properties? 
A: Yes. To learn more about Section 8 vouchers, please click here.

Q: Does OPDC accept other rental subsidies? 
A: Yes, OPDC will accept various rental subsidies on a case-by-case basis. Please contact Blair Kossis, the Property Manager, at 412.621.7863 Ext. 10 for more information.

Q: What is HUD 202?
A: HUD 202 is a program that provides supportive, affordable housing for the elderly. Please click here to learn more about HUD 202.

Q: Is there currently a waitlist for rental properties? 
A: Yes, there is currently a waitlist. Please contact Blair Kossis, the Property Manager, at 412.621.7863 Ext. 10 for more information or to have your name added to the list.

Q: What is the fee for the credit & background check? 
A: The fee is $15.00 per person.

Q: Should I obtain renters insurance? 
A: Yes. OPDC is not responsible for any personal possessions that are stolen or damaged in its rental units and highly recommends that all renters obtain renters insurance.

Q: What are your office hours? 
A: OPDC is open for business between 8:30am-5:00pm on Monday through Friday, and on evenings and weekends by appointment only

Q: How long is your lease term? 
A: OPDC leases are all for one year.

Current Tenants:

Q: When is rent due? 
A: Rent is due the 5th of each month. A late fee will be assessed if rent is not submitted to OPDC by this time.

Q: What are the methods of payment?
A: Acceptable forms of payment for rent include check, cash, or money order.

Q: How should I pay my rent?
A: Rent can be mailed to:
Oakland Planning and Development Corporation
Attn: Blair Kossis
235 Atwood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
To remit payment in person, stop by the office between 8:30am and 5:00pm.

Q: Who do I call in case of an emergency?
A: Between 8:30am and 5:00pm please call the office at 412.621.7863 x10. If you cannot reach someone, or it is after business hours, call the emergency line at 412.224.1251.

Q: Who takes care of maintenance? 
A: OPDC has a full-service maintenance staff. We provide 24-hour emergency service. For maintenance needs, please contact Blair Kossis, the Property Manager, at 412.621.7863 Ext. 10.

Q: Who are my utility providers?
A: The major utilities providers are listed below.

Electricity for all OPDC properties is provided by Duquesne Light (1.888.393.7100).
Gas is provided by Dominion Peoples Gas (1.800.764.0111) for the following OPDC properties:

  • Allequippa Place
  • 141 Robinson Street
  • 3230 Ward Street
  • 3238 Ward Street
  • 3240 Ward Street

Equitable Gas (412.395.3050) provides gas for the following OPDC properties:

  • 3221 Parkview Avenue

Pacelli House Water is provided by the Pittsburgh Water & Sewer Authority (412.255.2423) for all OPDC properties.

Q: Can I sublet my property?
A: No, tenants are not permitted to sublet.

Q: What are the steps I should take before I move out of my unit? 
A: Please reference these items below

  • Call OPDC and give notice by phone, then give notice in writing including the date you plan to move out.
  • Clean the unit, including the inside of the stove, oven, refrigerator, and carpet cleaning.
  • Remove all personal belongings from inside of unit
  • Lock doors and windows
  • Return keys to OPDC
  • Notify OPDC of a new mailing address

Q: How do you apply for the Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) program?
A: Anyone interested in enrolling in the CNA program must attend an orientation workshop where JobLinks staff will provide the dates, time and location of classes and clinical sessions and explain the process for obtaining a criminal background check, physical exam and TB screen. Questions about tuition rates and fees will also be addressed at that time.

Q: How long is the CNA program? When will it start?
A: JobLinks runs a 15-day, 17-day or 25-evening program. Class start and end dates are very dependent upon the clinical site availability, therefore it is imperative you attend an orientation session for program details.

Q: Is there a dress code for the CNA program? 
A: Yes, the dress code includes a mandatory white uniform and all white non-skid shoes or clinical-style sneakers. All students need a watch with a second hand.

Q: Is there funding available for the CNA program? 
A: Over the past year, CNA students have received funding from WIA (state funding), Housing Authority Self Sufficiency Programs, the City of Pittsburgh, and Pittsburgh Community Service Incorporated (PCSI). In addition to self-pay, many employers offer tuition reimbursement for individuals pursuing certification as a nursing assistant.

Q: How long is the Home Health Assistant course?
A: The Home Health program is a total of 40 hours.

Q: What kinds of jobs can I get as a Home Health Assistant?
A: The course prepares you for entry-level positions with agencies and facilities providing personal care. You may also work in a private home providing personal care and light housekeeping duties.

Q: Will I receive a certification in Home Health Care?
A: No. However, you will receive a certificate for 40 hours of instruction in personal care.

Q: How can I get into the Home Health Assistant course? 
A: Call JobLinks at 412-621-3821 for further information.

Q: How often are Home Health Assistant classes held? 
A: Classes are held often (8 -10 classes per year). For further information call Job Links at 412.621.3821.

Q: How can I enroll in the JobLinks EARN or Paid Work Experience (PWE) programs? 
A: JobLinks is a contractor of the City of Pittsburgh R.E.S.E.T. Program. We can only accept individuals that have been referred to us by the City of Pittsburgh. You must contact your Case Worker at the Department of Public Welfare to inquire about your eligibility in the program, and he/she can help you navigate through the process.

Q: What is the main number for the City of Pittsburgh EARN program? 
A: 412.552.9071

Q: How can I get financial assistance with child care so I can work?
A: YWCA Child Care Services can be reached at 412.261.2273.

Q: What is School 2 Career (S2C)?
A: School 2 Career is a career exploration and job development program that prepares youth for post-secondary education and training.

Q: How old do students have to be to enter the S2C program?
A: You must be 14 years old.

Q: Do students have to attend a Pittsburgh Public school to participate in S2C?
A: Yes, participants have to attend a traditional Pittsburgh public, charter or private school.

Q: Is S2C a summer job?
A: No, S2C is a year-round career exploration program that provides activities throughout the school year. There is, however, an orientation that takes place in the summer.

Q: Is there a Grade Point Average (GPA) requirement?
A: Yes, participants need to maintain a 2.5 GPA.

Q: What should students do if they need help maintaining my GPA?
A: S2C provides daily homework assistance and tutoring in algebra, geometry, English, physics, history, French, Spanish and many more.

Q: Will students get paid?
A: Yes, participants receive a training stipend for activities and mentored work experience.

Q: Will students need a work permit?
A: Yes, participants will receive a stipend for training activities; therefore, a work permit is required.

Q: How long can students be enrolled in the S2C program?
A: Students can participate in the program for four years or until they graduate from high school.

Q: Is there an orientation for the program?
A: Yes, each summer all new students participate in a six-week orientation, which focuses on career exploration and job development skills.

Q: How do students register for the S2C program?
A: Interested youth need to submit an application, proof of age, income, address, grade point average, citizenship and must secure a work permit from a Pittsburgh public school. We are not currently accepting applications, but will be again in spring of 2011. Check back then for the new application!

Q: Are there income guidelines?
A: Yes, guidelines are based on family income (see chart below).

Family Size Income 
1 $16,245
2 $21,855
3 $27,465
4 $33,075
5 $38,685
6 $44,295
7 $49,905
8 $55,515

Comments are closed.